Working as a nanny for several different families for the past few years, I have watched my share of kid movies. I’m a bit of a snob, really, when it comes to what I’ll watch. But I bamboozle the children into thinking I’m letting them choose the movie, when in reality, I pull out 2 or 3 movies I wouldn’t mind watching (for the millionth time), and I let them choose from my options. Ha. Ha. Suckers… Old Disney movies are the best!
However, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train your Dragon, and Tangled are the exceptions to my rule. Kudos to this generation for making clever, funny animated films that don’t result in all the grownups watching it in the theatre with their children dying from asphyxiation. On that note…
In Tangled, specifically, we love the wit, we love the frying pan, and we love this scene.
We also love their floating lanterns. I’m pretty sure that Tangled is to blame for the floating lantern fad. Before we knew it, everyone wanted to use them in their weddings, people were burning down buildings and starting forest fires from not “sending them off” properly, and every single female on Pinterest had pinned the picture of the floating lantern festival in Chiang Mai and added that to their bucket list.
As it turns out, sending these things off is a lot harder than the animated characters on screen made it look. I know what you’re thinking… “Wait, what?” But it’s true. We bought our very own lanterns, imported directly from China, and these were the instructions we were given:
1. After the distribution of fuel to packaging equipment Kong cross wire in the side of the field again deduction presses The fuel-pressure lock firmly.
2. A person XuYuan light take up a Top;
Another person fuel ignited the four angle.
3. Wait for that the heat enough light, lanterns person lest loose A top hand, changes grips under the light to encircle, Has when the lifting force may let go releases for flying.
4. XuYuan light rose slowly the sky, do not forget Wishing oh.
1. Should choose at the option open, calm environment released for flight. No fire ban in areas. the tall building the floor, and so on have covers under the thing to release for flight, must leave outside the airport 10 kilometers from flying.
2. XuYuan light can only be used for the distribution the special-purposeof fuel,prohibited by any burning Replace.
3. XuYuan light are on the rise, that of the flying, cannot the long time not put, and the Flight not to be append the foreign body.
4. Children must be under the custody of the adults use.
The first time we lit a floating lantern was for my 22nd birthday and it was a disaster. It resulted in the-almost-burning-down of our neighbour’s chicken coop. Oops. But the second time we made sure to not forget ‘Wishing oh’, and it turns out that’s the step you can’t skip.
Best wishes to you on your future floating lantern endeavours. May the odds be ever in your favour, or may you just learn Mandarin so you don’t get lost in translation…and don’t forget Wishing oh!